Privacy and Cookies Policy
Attently Inc. (“Attently”) conducts market research to help improve web content and online advertising for its customers. Our proprietary software is used to track facial features of people who choose to participate in our studies and to analyze their emotional and attentional response to on-screen media.
While Attently is committed to making the participant experience as natural and as unobtrusive as possible, we also take seriously the privacy of participants in our studies. Attently is established in the United States of America (at 1424 11th Ave Ste 400, Seattle, WA 98122 , contact: info@Attently.io), and we comply with the data protection requirements of the United States.
Safeguarding your privacy is of the utmost importance.
- Attently has a strict opt-in research policy. We only collect study data (including the data derived from facial analysis) from participants who have given their explicit consent by allowing access to their webcam prior to each media viewing session.
- Any Personal Information that we collect from you will be treated as confidential through the implementation of security measures.
- We do not share study data with our customers in a way that allows for the identification of any specific individual who participates in our studies.
- You have the ability to, at any time, turn off the data collection process through any of the following means: by setting the toggle button within the Attently Audience Extension to the ‘Off’ Position, by uninstalling the Attently Audience Extension, by turning off your webcam, by pausing video playback, or by navigating away from a supported site (as of 27 March 2019, supported sites include Hulu.com and YouTube.com).
What does Personal Information mean?
Personal Information means anything that can be used to identify you, including facial landmarks and IP addresses that we collect as you participate in our study or information that we collect from users of our website or our services.
If you do not agree with our Policy, please do not participate in Attently market research studies or use our website.
Data security is our priority
All Personal Information will be stored in a secure location within the United States of America. We use industry standard technical and organizational security measures to protect your data against unauthorized disclosure or processing. These measures vary depending on the sensitivity of the information we have collected from you. However, no method of transmission over the Internet or via mobile device, or method of electronic storage, is absolutely secure. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
What Personal Information do we collect?
When you use our Website or services, we and third parties may also use automated means to collect information about you, your computer or other device and your use of our Website. For instance, our web servers may collect and log information such as the type of device, operating system and browser you use when accessing our Website, and other system settings, such as language your system uses and the country and time zone where your device is located. Our web server may also record the address of the web page that referred you to our Website and the IP address of the device you use connect to our Website.
We also may collect any other information that you choose to provide when using our Website or our services. For instance, if you choose to submit a message on our website, we may collect your name, company name, job title and email address. If you sign up to become a member of the Attently Audience Panel, we will collect any form submissions you provide (including, but not limited to, your email address, name, and country of residence).
How we will use your Personal Information?
The General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”) requires data collectors, such as Attently, to have a legal basis to use the personal data of EU residents. Therefore, this section shall apply to any such personal data collected by us.
The legal basis for processing your personal data is your consent. In certain circumstances we may otherwise process your personal data if we have a legitimate interest in doing so and we are not infringing any of your rights and freedoms.
Attently specializes in market research and measures how people react when they view on-screen media, including video content and ads, on their devices. We analyze these reactions to help our customers improve their content and advertising. Your participation in our studies is voluntary and highly valued. The information that we share with our customers is anonymized and does not individually identify any study participants. Unless you consent, Attently will not share your Personal Information with third parties for marketing purposes.
Information collected from members of the Attently Audience Panel may, in some cases, be used for unforced exposure tests of advertising or other media by targeting members of the Attently Audience Panel with the ads that are being tested, on supported sites. These studies are conducted using standard techniques for programmatic buying and targeting of online advertising, and will not increase the number of ads that panelists are exposed to.
Attently may use anonymized and de-identified study data to assess quality assurance and to help improve software and reporting capabilities.
Attently may use information collected from users of our Website to analyze the effectiveness of our Website.
If you create an account on our website and if you provide your consent for Attently to contact you, Attently may use your personal information to contact you and to ensure that the Website and services work correctly and to offer you support. The personal information might be needed also in case our registered users have issues with the Attently services or website.
Attently will not use users’ personal information for any other purpose without your consent or legal obligation to do so.
Who do we share your Personal Information with?
Attently may share your information in limited ways in order to provide our services:
- We work with trusted partners (Amazon AWS, Mailchimp, Liveramp, Google, PayPal, and Hubspot) to perform tasks on our behalf and we may need to disclose Personal Information to them so that they can perform these tasks. However, these companies are bound by confidentiality obligations and do not have any independent right to use Personal Information beyond what is necessary to assist us in order to provide our services.
- We may share your Personal Information, where appropriate, with any member of our group of companies who are involved in delivering our services. Any disclosure will be in accordance with data protection regulations and you consent to share your Personal Information with our group companies on this limited basis.
- We may share your Personal Information when we believe that doing so is necessary to protect, enforce, or defend the legal rights, privacy, safety, or property of Attently, our employees or agents or users, or to comply with applicable law or legal process, including responding to requests from public and government authorities.
- You agree that, if there is a change in the ownership of Attently or any of our assets, such as in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization, dissolution or liquidation), or if we take steps in anticipation of such a transaction, we may transfer and disclose Personal Information we have collected to the new or prospective company, subject always to the data protection regulations.
- We may share anonymized, aggregated or de-identified data without restriction.
How long do you keep this Personal Information for?
We store Personal Information for as long as it is required for our research and business purposes and as required by law. When Personal Information is no longer required, we will delete it from our systems.
Cookies are small text files that we place on your computer or device to allow us to track our research and assess participant behaviour information. We use third party service providers to track usage and interaction with the media players that are used to measure responses to advertisements. Our cookies are deleted after 13 months.
We also may use service providers like Google Analytics to help us analyze how users use our Website. The information collected by the technology will be disclosed to or collected directly by these service providers. To prevent Google Analytics from using information for analytics, a user may install the Google Analytics Opt-Out Browser Add-on by clicking here.
To find out more about cookies and how to delete them, please visit http://www.aboutcookies.org.uk/managing-cookies
If you consent to taking part in our study, you will install an extension on your browser to which you will login. This login enables us to identify you in case you wish to see the data we hold of you. We require you to authenticate using this login in case you wish to access the participant records we hold of you.
Do-Not-Track Signals and Similar Mechanisms
We do not recognize or respond to browser-initiated Do Not Track signals, as the Internet industry is currently still working on Do Not Track standards, implementations, and solutions.
Third Party Links and Services
Our website may contain links to third-party websites such as social media sites, and may also contain third-party plug-ins (such as the Facebook “like” button and Twitter “follow” button). If you choose to use these sites or features, you may disclose your information not just to those third-parties, but also to their users and the public more generally depending on how their services function.
Attently does not knowingly obtain information, study data, or survey responses from participants under the age of 18, unless we obtain the required consent. Should we discover that any data has been collected from a participant under the age of 18, without the required consent, we will immediately delete it.
International transfer of Personal Information
We may transfer your Personal Information to countries outside of the United States, (such as the European Union) but only to companies we trust. This includes carefully selected business partners that are certified as compliant with the EU-US Privacy Shield Framework or equivalent protections. We do this for our data management and business purposes, in particular, for outsourced data processing by organizations on our behalf and in accordance with the stated aim of the data processing. We take appropriate steps to ensure your information is adequately protected. If you do not agree to this, please do not use our services.
Access to changes to your Personal Information
Notice to California Residents — Your California Privacy Rights
Attently does not disclose your “personal information” (as such term is defined by the California Shine the Light Law – California Civil Code 1798.83) to third parties for the purpose of directly marketing their services to you unless you first agree to such disclosure. If you are a California resident, you have the right, pursuant to Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code, to receive once a year, free of charge: (1) information identifying each third party company to whom we may have disclosed, within the past year, personal information pertaining to you for that company’s direct marketing purposes; and (2) a description of the categories of personal information disclosed to that third party company in the immediately preceding calendar year. If you are a California resident and would like to make this request, please contact us by e-mail at info@Attently.io. In addition, please refer to the section of this Privacy Statement entitled “Who do we share your Personal Information with”.
Your rights under the GDPR
Please contact info@Attently.io for applications regarding your personal data. If you took part in our surveys, we can only identify your personal data using your login information that you set up when you first installed the Attently Audience extension. If you cannot be identified, Attently is not able to identify your data to fulfil your request.
- Right of rectification
You can have your personal data rectified at any time, in case it is inaccurate or incomplete. You should notify us to correct or update your personal data. You can notify us at any time at info@Attently.io
- Right of erasure
You can request to delete your personal data at any time by contacting us at info@Attently.io.
- Right to restrict processing
In certain circumstances, you have a right to restrict or block us from processing your personal data.
- Right to withdraw your consent
If the processing is done based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent to processing of your personal data at any time by contacting us at info@Attently.io
- Right to data portability
You have a right to request the personal data from us and reuse this data for other services.
- Right to object
At any given time, you have a right to object to the processing of your personal data.
- Right related to automation
You are protected from automated decision-making processes.
The Policy is governed by legislation of the State of Alaska.
- Write to us at 1424 11th Ave Ste 400, Seattle, WA 98122, United States of America
Last updated: 8 October 2019